鈴虫寺鈴虫寺

開山三百年

300TH ANNIVERSARY OF FOUNDATION

TOP / 二つの300年 / 開山三百年について

開山三百年について300th Anniversary of Foundation

宝永6年(1709年)に鳳潭上人が初めて住職として入寺されたのが嵐山の近くにあった安照寺です。
安照寺は元和年中(1615年頃)創建の浄土宗の寺院でありましたが暫く無住の時期が続き鳳潭上人が入寺された当時は臨済宗の禅寺でありました。
その後、正徳5年(1715年)に安照寺の寺号を華厳寺に改められました。
これが華厳寺の始まりになります。

8年後の享保8年(1723年)に現在の地に移って妙徳山 華厳寺を創建されました。
この時、宗派を臨済宗から華厳宗へと改宗され名実ともに華厳宗として華厳寺の歴史が始まることになります。
その後、歴代の住職が華厳宗の学問・修行場の寺院として運営されてきましたが、
第七世慶巌文柯和尚の代に臨済宗・永源寺派に改宗されました。
第八世台巌紹円和尚の代には鈴虫が一年中鳴く寺として通称鈴虫寺と呼ばれるようになりました。
その後、第九世曹寿紹源和尚の代に臨済宗の単立寺院となり現在に至っています。

The Venerable Hōtan first became the chief priest of Anshō-ji Temple near Arashiyama in 1709.
Anshō-ji Temple had belonged to Jōdo sect of Buddhism during the Genwa period (around 1615), and lacked a resident priest for some time.
When the Venerable Hōtan took over the priesthood, it had been turned into a Zen temple belonging to the Rinzai sect.
In the year 1715, Anshō-ji Temple was renamed as Kegon-ji Temple.
This marked the beginning of the Kegon-ji Temple.

Eight years later, in 1723, the Venerable Hōtan shifted the temple operations to its present location and built the Myōtoku-san Kegon-ji Temple.
At this point, he converted from Rinzai to Kegon sect, and thus began the history of Kegon-ji Temple as a Kegon sect temple both in name and deed.
After that, successive chief priests were using the premises as a place for Buddhist learning and ascetic practices,
but it was eventually converted to the Eigenji School of the Rinzai sect during the era of the 7th chief priest Keigan Bunka.
During the era of the 8th chief priest Taigan Shōen, the temple got its nickname “Suzumushi-dera (Bell Cricket Temple)”, a place where one can hear the bell crickets chirp all year long.
Later, it became an independent temple of the Rinzai sect during the era of the 9th chief priest Sōju Shōgen, and continues to be one to date.

令和2年の現在、華厳寺が建立され297年が経過しております。
令和5年には華厳寺創建300年を迎えることとなります。
華厳寺が創建され約300年。
300年前と申しますと江戸時代中期、徳川吉宗公の時代です。
その300年の間には封建的な社会から民主的な社会へと変わり、
大きな戦争や災害も幾たびか経験し、科学技術も随分と進歩しました。
激動の300年を経て今の令和の時代を迎えています。

次の300年の間には今まで以上に大きな変革を経験しなければならないでしょう。
しかし、年月がいくら経過しても宗教や寺院の役割は決して変わることはありません。
華厳寺の歴代の住職が大切にしてきたように、
これからも皆様方に大きく門戸を開き布教・救済に尽力させていただきたいと願っております。

As of 2020, 297 years have passed since the foundation of Kegon-ji Temple.
The temple will complete 300 years in 2023.
It has been nearly 300 years since foundation!
It was built during the reign of Yoshimune Tokugawa in the middle of the Edo era.
In these 300 years, Japan has changed from feudal to democratic society,
witnessed countless major wars and calamities, and made great progress in science and technology.
We have now entered the Reiwa era after 300 years of turbulence.

There are bound to be even greater changes and challenges in the coming 300 years.
However, no matter how many years pass, the role of religion and temples will never change.
We hope to keep our doors open to everyone, and continue to engage in missionary and relief work,
which has been cherished by the successive chief priests of Kegon-ji Temple over the years.

三百年遠諱について300th Death Anniversary of the Founder